Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Veterans Day

Growing up, I never put much thought into Veterans Day.  True, my schools always had a Veterans Day assembly every year to commemorate the holiday.  But my neighborhood never did anything special and neither did my town.  Veterans Day was just a holiday that fell between Halloween, my birthday, and Thanksgiving.

When Hubby enlisted almost two years ago, I vowed that I would never again let Veterans Day pass without notice.  I’ve been thinking of lots of ways to remember America’s veterans.  And I finally figured out what we’re going to do.

As far as I know, our city is not doing anything special so we’ve decided to write letters and made cards to send to Operation Second Chance.  They will then deliver them to wounded veterans at Walter Reed Medical Center.  Thank you to Suzanne at All Because Two People Fell In Love for posting about this organization right when I was looking for something special to do.  I may even have the kids at work draw pictures to send too…

1 comment:

Suzanne @ All Because Two People Fell in Love said...

It's definitely a good organization from what I've read. Unfortunately, the organization didn't have any volunteer opportunities that I was looking for. Rather, I came across another organization which was recommended to me by someone else called Cause USA (http://cause-usa.org/main/index.cfm) I've actually been in contact with them about volunteering and have submitted my application - just waiting to join a team now. My husband and I are actually going to a black tie event gala for the organization this coming friday evening (Veteran's Day). I'm stoked!