Wednesday, September 28, 2011

What if I were in the military?

A few nights ago, after a conversation revolving around Top Gun and my husband's former teenage desire to be Maverick, I had a dream that I was a pilot in the air force.  (I realize that Maverick was in the Navy, but the idea of being stuck on a ship when not i a plane doesn't really excite me.)  Although I think it would be awesome to be able to fly fighter jets and take down the enemy in the air, I know it would never happen.  I wouldn't even make it through the first day of basic training.  As soon as the drill sergeant told me to do pushups, I would probably burst into tears and run and hide.

However, even though it will never happen, I sometimes think about what it would be like if I were in the military.  I like to think about what my job would be.  I graduated from college in Health Science emphasizing in Public Health.  My favorite professor was a former active air force public health officer.  His job was to check out the area of a potential FOB and make sure there were water sources nearby.  He would also teach disease prevention and monitor sanitation among many other things.  I think if I were in the military, that would be my thing.  I would love that job.

Have you ever thought about what you would want your job to be if you were in the military?

Have you ever seriously considered joining?

1 comment:

Cat said...

Before I met my husband I seriously considered joining the coast guard. I still think about it every so often... what it would have been like. But I think I like being a military spouse instead!