Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Did You Know

Did you know there is a National Infertility Awareness Week?
 
No?

Did you know that it was this week?

No again?

Well there is!  And it is this week!

I didn’t know either until a few days ago.

So in honor of NIAW, I’m going to share with you something I’ve been working on for the last week or so. 
 
But first, I want to introduce you to someone I think is just great.  (She doesn’t know I’m doing this so I hope it’s okay.)  Her name is Ashlee.  She has become a dear friend of mine in the last few months.  We both moved to Chicago last summer and we go to the same church.  It is my belief that one of the reasons D and I moved to Chicago was so I could meet her.  You see, we were supposed to move to Omaha.  But at the last minute, we felt it wasn’t right.  Instead, we moved to Chicago and, although there are many things I don’t like about Chicago, I’m glad we did move here.  Ashlee has helped me so much in terms of my infertility and I am so thankful for her.  Her blog, Infertility Spoiled Eggs, is awesome and her baby boy is the cutest.  You should go check her out!
 
Anyway, back to my new “project.”  I have made a goal to be more open about our infertility.  I have noticed the last few weeks since I’ve started opening up about it, I have felt so much better.  I still have hard days but it has gotten a little easier.  So, I’ve been thinking a lot about how I can share our story.  How can I share it in a way that helps me move forward but also has the possibility to help someone else struggling through the same thing?

Being inspired by Ashlee and her blog, I decided to start my own, detailing our journey to parenthood.  It is still very much a work in progress but you’re welcome to still check it out here.  If you are struggling with infertility, know someone who is or would just like to better understand, please come join in.  I’d love to hear your experiences and opinions.

1 comment:

Brian and Cathy Phillips said...

Allison, I had no idea. Thank you for sharing. Someone who has a lot of experience and could be good to talk to is Trudy McKean. Let me know if you would like her number. In other news, I enjoy following what you mid-westerners are up to. Thanks for blogging. -Cathy