Thursday, September 22, 2011

Like Great Grandpa, Like Great Grandson

One of my interests is family history.  I used to think that this was just for old people to do.  But it is so fun for me to learn about my ancestors and what their lives were like.  When I was a little girl, in lieu of a bedtime story, my mom would tell me a story about someone in my family (she was a big family history buff too).  I loved that and it is something that I want to do with my future children.

When my husband and I got married, his grandpa gave us a book compiled by my husband's great-grandpa about himself, his family, and his ancestors.  It's a rather large book filled with pictures, family pedigree charts, and his journal.  Lately, I have been going through his journal reading about his life and it has been so fun.

I came across an interesting tidbit.  My husband and his great grandfather were in the same National Guard unit.  We have since moved states and my husband has changed units but it was still a fun connection between him and his ancestor.

No comments: