Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Travel Frustrations

For the past year or so, I have babysat my sister's two kids once a week so she could take a volunteer position at a museum in the city.  I took the last three months off from babysitting because I was so sick during my first trimester (and a little after) but fortunately, that seems to have passed for the most part and yesterday was my first day babysitting again.

I hate driving in the city and the snow makes me even more paranoid so I take public transportation.  Usually, it's pretty reliable.  However, yesterday, it was a nightmare.  I walked the mile to the train and waited on the platform for it to come.  Five minutes passed, then ten and no train came.  No big deal, I thought.  I still had plenty of time.  On the opposite platform, trains came by about every four minutes.  It made sense considering that most people were commuting into the city instead of out to the suburbs.  However, 30 minutes passed with no sign of my train.

This doesn't happen very often.  There could have been construction that delayed the train.  Or the snow could have been the reason for the delay.  I don't know.  But you'd think if it was the snow that Chicago would be better prepared in the snow so that public transportation wouldn't become so messed up.  I mean, come on, it snows every winter here.

Frustrated, I began to think of my next plan of action.  I left the train station and started the walk back home.  I called D and told him what was going on.  He was still at home, luckily, and he offered to drive me to my sister's on his way to school.

I finally made it to my sister's (only 15 minutes late) despite all the frustrations but I've decided that I am definitely tired of winter.  Too bad it's only February.

At least I got to spend my day with the most adorable toddler boy ever and that made all of it worth it.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Oh wow I can only imagine how frustrating that had to be. Glad you made it there though and didn't have to take the train.